Not everything can be cured in 30 days. In an age when we expect instant downloads and immediate results, this can be a hard truth to accept. We’re used to going online, searching our symptoms, and trying to find DIY remedies for various ailments.
The reality is that recovery isn’t a “cure” that happens overnight. It’s a journey – it’s a commitment that requires time, dedication and courage.
For most recovering addicts, the journey is not a smooth process. There are ups and downs. Sometimes there are a few steps backwards, but like a dance, there will be counter steps that pull you in a healthier direction.
This leads many people to ask the following questions: how long does recovery take? If I’ve already completed a residential or outpatient addiction treatment program, shouldn’t I be good to go? Can’t I just move forward with my life already?
Sobriety: How Much Time Does Recovery Take?
When you commit to get help for addiction, you are really committing to two different things:
- A short-term addiction treatment program that can last up to several months.
- A long-term commitment to lifelong recovery (this begins after you complete rehab).
By looking at recovery this way, it’s easy to see that achieving sobriety isn’t like recovering from the flu or a cold. This isn’t a fifteen, thirty or even seventy-five day process. It’s a lifelong journey that requires continual work.
Of course, over time, maintaining sobriety will be much easier than the challenging groundwork of treatment in rehab.
Remember, addiction is considered a chronic disease. Similar to diabetes or heart disease, there are challenges that will always be there. The good news is that there is hope for lasting recovery through healthy living emotionally, mentally and physically.
Every day is a new opportunity for a fresh beginning that determines the path of your personal journey.
So to answer the question, “How long will it take to recover?” perhaps the best response is: “It takes a lifetime.”
The journey itself is deeply personal, varying from person to person based on your own personal experiences and environmental influences.
This is why it’s so important to develop an ongoing support system even after rehab ends. Following an aftercare plan is one of the keys to lifelong recovery. An aftercare plan will be tailored to you to meet your specific needs.
The app is designed to keep you in touch with a recovery coach and support system right at your fingertips. Utilizing tools such as the app will help you follow your aftercare plan so you can stay sober.
You will need support during the various stages of recovery:
- Early recovery. This is when the threat of relapse is at it’s greatest. It’s common to experience intense drug cravings or social withdrawal. Various things can trigger relapse. During early recovery, it’s important to develop healthy coping skills, develop meaningful relationships and cultivate problem-solving skills.A formalized addiction treatment program will help you achieve all of these goals. As you progress, you will better understand who you are sober.
- After completing treatment, it’s time to apply the lessons learned in drug rehab to every area of every day life. As you reintegrate back into the world, you might feel disoriented or somewhat disconnected. It’s especially important during this phase to follow your aftercare plan and utilize the JourneyPure Coaching app to stay grounded in recovery.
- Advanced recovery. The threat of relapse never completely disappears, though it can certainly diminish over time. Advanced recovery is continual growth and personal development. It’s all about enjoying life, growing as a person and building relationships with other people. You will continue to address any co-occurring mental health disorders that may have driven your previous addiction.As you discover new hobbies and explore new experiences in life, it will be important to stay connected to those who are supportive of your recovery. Even long after you’ve completed a treatment program, JourneyPure Coaching will help keep you on the right track.
Aftercare is key to a successful life of recovery and sobriety. It’s a bridge that helps connect the present to the future. The JourneyPure Coaching app is available today.
Contact us to learn more information.